Your Catastrophic Injury
CASE IS OUR TOP PRIORITY.Get help now
Atlanta 18-Wheeler Wrecks Lawyer
18-wheelers are massive and powerful vehicles that can cause serious harm when involved in an accident. These trucks are used by companies to move goods around the country. If those companies, or their drivers, fail to act responsibly then they should be held accountable for the injuries that are caused. Please contact us online or call Ponton Law today at 404-902-3154 to discuss your trucking accident with an 18-wheeler wreck attorney.
Large Truck Accident Statistics
18-wheelers and other commercial trucks respond differently to changes in road conditions than do smaller, more agile vehicles. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), large commercial trucks, including 18-wheelers, represent a serious threat to the safety of other drivers. The NHTSA’s most recent report, for the year 2015, found:
- 4,311 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes, in 2015.
- Large truck and bus fatalities have been increasing in recent years (20 percent increase between 2009 and 2015).
- There has been a significant increase in crashes resulting in injuries that involved large trucks (62 percent increase from 2009 to 2015).
The NHTSA’s report also found that 87,000 large trucks were involved in accidents that resulted in injury and 342,000 large trucks were involved in accidents that resulted in property damage, for the 2015 year. These should be alarming statistics to anyone who shares the roadways with large trucks.
Why are 18-Wheelers So Dangerous?
The NHTSA has found that there are certain factors that make large truck driving dangerous. The following is a summary of some of those findings.
- Problem Identification. Often, one of the biggest issues large truck drivers face is being able to see conditions around them. The larger the truck the more likely there will be driver blind spots. 18-wheelers are exceptionally large and it is critical that drivers be aware of their blind spots and work to mitigate or eliminate blind spot risks.
- Driver Fatigue and Hours of Service. Truck driving is a demanding career that requires long and sometimes very stressful hours. However, truck drivers, and the companies that hire them, must take steps to ensure that driving hours are managed to ensure that drivers are alert while working.
- Vehicle Maintenance and Inspections. Truck drivers and trucking companies must ensure that the trucks they put on the roads are safe and properly maintained. For example, breaks should be routinely inspected, by a qualified professional, to ensure that the truck will stop as quickly as possible when necessary.
- Environment. Environmental factors can negatively impact a driver’s abilities. Snow, ice, rain, and other weather conditions can cause a loss of traction and therefore a loss of diver control. Drivers must remain aware of environmental factors and respond accordingly by reducing speeds and, if necessary, finding a safe place to stop.
- Vehicle Design and Load. Large trucks, especially 18-wheelers, must be designed properly for their intended use. Furthermore, the trucks must be loaded properly to avoid load shifting or other issues that can cause reduced driver control.
- Driver Related Issues. As discussed above, driver fatigue can impact roadway safety, but there are other serious driver-related issues that can increase dangers. For example, drug use and abuse are far too common among truck drivers. Drugs can either act as a stimulant or depressant, but in either instance, the result is an elevated risk to other drivers.
Discovering the actual cause of an accident can be difficult. If necessary, we will work with a team of trucking and accident professionals to help determine the cause of your accident. Knowing what caused the accident can help us better understand who is ultimately responsible for your injuries. Contact Atlanta 18-wheeler wreck lawyer James Ponton today to discuss your claim.
Contacting an Atlanta 18-Wheeler Wreck Attorney at Ponton Law
We represent truck wreck accident victims in Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Milton, Roswell Oaks, Cross Point, GA & Surrounding areas. Ponton Law provides personal injury legal services to the injured and we look forward to working with you to get you and your family the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Please contact us online or call Ponton Law today at 404-902-3154.