Representing Personal Injury Victims in East Point
YOUR CATASTROPHIC INJURY
CASE IS OUR TOP PRIORITY.Get help now
We Fight for the Rights of Car Accident Victims in East Point, River Park & Fulton County Areas
At Ponton Law, our East Point car accident lawyers are devoted to making your case the top priority, each and every step of the way. We have what it takes to hold careless drivers, truck companies, other negligent defendants, and big insurance carriers accountable. Injured victims do not have to navigate the legal system all alone. If you or your family member was hurt in an accident in Fulton County, we are here to help. To set up a free, confidential case review with an East Point auto accident lawyer, please call us at (404) 418-8507 or contact us online.
East Point Car Accident Attorney
Key Steps that You Need to Take After a Motor Vehicle Collision in East Point, Georgia
Located in the southern part of Fulton County, East Point is a fast-growing, diverse, and vibrant community of approximately 35,000. Among other things, the city is known for its historic downtown area, which includes several restaurants, shops, and cultural attractions. East Point is also home to the Camp Creek Marketplace, a popular shopping center with a wide range of retailers and dining options. Similar to all communities in Georgia, car crashes remain a safety risk in East Point. It is crucial that all residents know what to do after a collision. Key steps include:
- Stop Your Vehicle: Stop your vehicle immediately after the accident, if it is safe to do so. Georgia law is clear: All motorists involved in a collision must stop and remain at the scene, but for medical emergencies. Failure to do so could be an arrestable criminal offense.
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Once again, this is a legal duty. Additionally, the more information you have, the better position you will be in to bring a claim.
- Report the Accident to the Police: In Georgia, injury crashes should always be reported to the authorities. Be proactive. Report your crash to a state or local law enforcement agency, such as the East Point Police Department or Fulton County Sheriff’s Office.
- Get Medical Attention: All car crash injuries in East Point should be thoroughly evaluated by a qualified doctor. Emergency needs come first. They are the top priority. Though, all injuries should be evaluated. You need medical records to bring a claim.
- Gather Evidence at the Scene: As Georgia is a fault-based auto accident state, you need evidence to bring a successful car accident injury claim. It is a best practice to proactively gather as much evidence as possible at the scene of a crash.
- Beware of the Insurance Company: Be wary of the insurer and its representatives. They may try to get you to settle for less than you deserve. Ultimately, even your own insurance provider is not on your side. You should be cautious every step of the way.
- Consult With an East Point Lawyer: The best thing that you can do to protect your rights and interests after a serious car crash is to set up a free, confidential consultation with a top-rated East Point auto accident attorney. Your lawyer will help you navigate the process.
Why Do Auto Accidents Happen?
Motor vehicle safety remains a serious concern in our region. The Georgia Department of Public Health reports that crashes are “the second leading cause of injury deaths and second leading cause of hospitalizations and ER visits” in the state. Why do so many accidents happen on our roads? The data shows that collisions occur for a wide variety of different reasons—though the large majority are caused by human error and, as such, are preventable. Some of the most common causes of accidents in East Point include:
- Tailgating (following too closely);
- Unsafe lane changes;
- Running red lights;
- Running stop signs;
- Distracted driving;
- Drunk driving;
- Drugged driving;
- Vehicle defectives;
- Poor design of the road;
- Unsafe practices by trucking companies; and
- Unsafe practices by highway construction companies.
Parties that May Bear Liability for an Accident in East Point
Similar to many other U.S. jurisdictions, Georgia is a fault-motor vehicle crash state. Fault arises based on negligence, or the inability to take due care. In East Point, all crashes require a detail-driven investigation by an attorney to determine who is at fault. It is imperative that you have access to as much information and documentation as possible in order to build a strong case for compensation. A car accident injury claim could be brought against a wide range of defendants. Parties that could be fully or partially liable for a crash in East Point include:
- Drivers (most crashes are caused by negligent motorists);
- Trucking companies;
- Other commercial delivery companies;
- Property owners (premises liability);
- Highway construction contractors;
- Vehicle manufacturers; and
- Government agencies responsible for road conditions.
Georgia uses comparative negligence (O.C.G.A. § 51-12-33). You can still bring a claim if you are partially at fault for your own accident, but your compensation will be reduced. As an example, if a driver in East Point is found to be 30 percent at fault for an accident, they are liable for 30 percent of their own damages. They can still hold the other at-fault party legally responsible for the remaining 70 percent. Fault matters. In a serious accident claim, even a single percentage point of fault could be thousands of dollars of financial compensation.
Helping Victims of Auto Accidents Recover Compensation They Deserve
It is our mission to help injured victims in North Georgia secure every penny of financial compensation that they rightfully deserve. Here is the simple reality: You cannot rely on a defendant or any insurance company to look out for your best interests. They want to settle personal injury claims, including car accident cases, for less. Our East Point motor vehicle collision attorneys are tenacious. We will help you maximize your financial relief, including for:
- Vehicle repairs or vehicle replacement;
- Ambulance costs and emergency medical care;
- Medical bills and other health-related costs;
- Loss of income and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering & mental anguish;
- Permanent disfigurement or disability; and
- Wrongful death.
How to Deal With an Insurance Adjuster After a Crash in East Point
If you have been in a car accident in East Point, Georgia, you will likely need to deal with an insurance adjuster. The insurance adjuster will be responsible for investigating the accident and assessing the damage in order to determine the amount of compensation you are entitled to. While the insurance adjuster may seem friendly and helpful, it is vital to remember that their primary responsibility is to protect the interests of the insurance company.
First and foremost, it is best to avoid giving a recorded statement to the representative of an insurance company. Keep in mind that they are trying to find a way to use your words against you to reduce your settlement or even deny your claim. Do not sign any documents without first consulting with an experienced East Point car accident lawyer. Your attorney will ensure that your best interests are properly protected.
What is the Statute of Limitations for Georgia Auto Accident Claims?
Hurt in a crash in East Point? You do not have an unlimited amount of time to take legal action. The statute of limitations for claim in Georgia is two years from the date of the motor vehicle crash (O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33). What happens if you do not file your claim within the statutory timeframe? Unless a very narrow exception applies, you will lose out on your right to seek financial compensation. Be proactive: Speak to an East Point, GA auto accident attorney as soon as possible.
How Our East Point Auto Accident Lawyer Can Help
Navigating the car accident claims process is hard. You need to be able to focus on your physical and mental recovery, not on complex legal paperwork. Our founder James T. Ponton is committed to holding insurers accountable for paying claims. We have the skills and expertise to get people and families true justice. Among other things, our East Point car accident attorneys will:
- Listen to what happened, answer questions, and explain your legal options;
- Investigate the motor vehicle crash, gathering the relevant evidence;
- Carefully gather your medical records and document your damages;
- Advocate for you in any settlement negotiations; and
- Develop a personalized strategy to fight to maximize your financial recovery.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top-Rated East Point, GA Auto Accident Attorney
At Ponton Law, our East Point auto accident lawyers have the professional expertise that you can count on. If you or your loved one was seriously hurt in a motor vehicle collision, we are here to help. Call us at (404) 418-8507 or contact us online for a free, no obligation case review. Our firm represents car accident victims in East Point and throughout the surrounding area in Fulton County, including in Atlanta, College Park, and Mountain View.