Till you are harmed, you probably did not consider the grocery store to be a dangerous area. However, following your fall, you are likely to have numerous questions. You might be wondering how a slip-and-fall accident in a grocery store occurs, what types of injuries you can sustain, and the appropriate steps in case you suffer severe injuries.
How Do Slip-And-Fall Accidents Happen In A Grocery Store?
Grocery store operators have a responsibility to offer a safe shopping environment for their customers. Serious falls can occur when store managers and premises owners fail to take sufficient precautions to safeguard customers. An extensive range of factors causes accidents in grocery stores.
For instance, a fall could occur if:
- Spills are not cleaned up right away in the store
- Trip threats are placed in the walkways, including bags, cords, and boxes
- Existing hazards in parking lots, including poor illumination and damaged pavement
- Customers’ stairwells lack functioning railings and appropriate treads
- Customers are not alerted about damp surfaces due to floor cleaning, freezer drips, dropped items, or customers’ shoes in the snow and rain
- Bathrooms are not appropriately maintained to prevent sink and toilet overflows
- Floor mats are improperly secured or wearing out, posing a trip danger
Grocery stores must take reasonable precautions to avoid these and other slip and fall hazards.
What Are The Common Injuries In Grocery Store Slip-And-Falls?
Following a grocery store fall, many want to get up immediately and assume that it did not happen. If you fall in a grocery store, it may not be very respectful. However, disregarding it could worsen your injuries. Following a fall, you should be on the lookout for the following injuries:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Open wounds
- Ligament and tendon injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Dental injuries
- Eye injuries
Even though you do not believe you have been gravely injured, it is vital to see a doctor to ensure that any injuries you incurred are assessed and addressed. Bear in mind that some injuries may not manifest themselves until days or even weeks after.
What To Do Following A Slip-And-Fall In A Grocery Store?
Your claim process and recovery will be determined by the activities you take following a slip-and-fall incident. As a result, it is critical to:
- Seek immediate medical care and follow your doctor’s instructions
- Report the incident immediately to the store manager or any other liable person
- Collect sufficient evidence regarding your incident, including photos of the scene, key witnesses, etc.
- Consult an attorney about your legal rights and options
Contact Ponton Law
The amount of time you have to bring a slip-and-fall claim is restricted by law. Thus, you should consult with an Atlanta car accident attorney.
Your lawyer will discuss your potential case and possible reimbursement of lost income, medical bills, pain, and suffering, among other damages. Get started today through a free, no-obligation consultation by calling (404) 418-8507.