A hospital should be a safe place. Sadly, that is not always the reality—and slip and fall accidents are one of the top safety hazards in hospitals. According to a study published by the United States National Library of Medicine, approximately 100,000 people are injured nationwide in fall accidents each year. Here, our Atlanta slip and fall lawyer explains the key things to know about hospital slip and fall accidents in Georgia.
Common Causes of Hospital Slip and Fall Accidents
Hospital slip and fall accidents can happen for a wide range of different reasons. For the most part, these accidents could and should have been prevented with property safety measures. Some of the leading causes of slip and fall accidents in hospitals and other medical settings include:
- Wet/slippery floors;
- Damaged rugs or carpets;
- Loose or broken floor boards;
- Damaged stairs;
- Lack of lighting in hallways or stairwells; and
- Lack of proper oversight of patients by hospital personnel.
A Hospital May Be Liable on Multiple Grounds
A hospital may be legally liable for a slip and fall accident on multiple different legal grounds. A hospital or other health care provider’s potential responsibility for a slip and fall/trip and fall depends on the specific circumstances of the accident. A hospital may be liable for:
- Premises Liability: When someone slips and falls in a hospital, the facility may be legally responsible on the grounds of premises liability. Patients and non-patients (visitors, contractors, etc.) may hold a hospital liable for a slip and fall caused by an unreasonably dangerous safety hazard.
- Medical Malpractice: When a patient is injured in a fall accident in a hospital, the facility may be liable for medical malpractice. Hospitals have a duty to provide proper care to their patients.
Recovering Compensation for a Hospital Slip and Fall in Georgia
Following a severe slip and fall accident in a hospital, injured victims need money to pay bills and support their families. Unfortunately, recovering full and fair financial compensation from a hospital or its insurance carrier can be difficult. Our Atlanta slip and fall accident attorney has the skills and legal experience to help injured victims maximize their recovery. You may be eligible to recover financial compensation for:
- Emergency medical treatment;
- Other health care bills and expenses;
- Physical therapy and rehabilitative care;
- Lost wages and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Disability and disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
Contact Our Atlanta, GA Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Today
At Ponton Law, our Atlanta slip and fall accident attorney is a strong, trustworthy advocate for justice. If you or your loved one was injured in a slip and fall or a trip and fall at a hospital, we can help. Give us a call now or connect with us online to arrange your no-cost, no-obligation case review. With an office in Atlanta, we provide premises liability representation throughout the region, including in South Fulton, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Johns Creek, Alpharetta, and Stonecrest.