A Slip And Fall Accident Can Happen Anywhere
A slip and fall accident may happen anywhere! At home, at work, at the shopping mall, at a friend’s house or at your place of worship. Slipping and falling may result in injuries that are sometimes permanent, especially for the elderly and children.
Fortunately, the company or person who manages the land on which the accident occurs is liable. The owners of the property have a legal responsibility of preventing slip and fall accidents known as premises liability.
An experienced Atlanta slip and fall attorney can help you understand your rights in case of a slip and fall. Contact us at 404-418-8507 and let us handle the legal process as you focus on recovering.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents?
Below are some causes of slip and fall accidents that are common:
- Surface conditions, that include: Surfaces that are uneven and lack warning signs, floors that have been recently waxed or mopped, loose mats or rugs especially on stairs, spilled liquids that haven’t been cleaned up and potholes in parking lots
- Environmental conditions, that include: Debris and trash on the floor, poor lighting that hinders you from seeing obstacles, cords running across walkways and open cabinet or desk drawers
- Stairs and ladders, including: Lack of handrails in place and not securing a ladder or having someone hold it
- Certain occupations such as, factory workers, chefs, housekeepers, manual laborers and workers in the construction industry
How to Reduce the Risk of Slip and Fall Accidents
In as much as slips and falls are common, there are some ways to reduce the risks involved:
- Wearing Proper Shoes: Inappropriate shoes for a particular place or activity add to the risk of falling.
- Understanding Your Surroundings: It is important to notice areas that may likely cause a fall, by being aware of wet items, freezers or hard floors.
What You Should Do after a Slip and Fall Accident
Seek Medical Help
Your number one priority after the incident should be your health. It is important to consult a doctor to properly document all your injuries. The medical records will serve as evidence if you were to seek compensation for injuries.
Report the Case
Reporting the accident to the landlord or manager is important. Get to the details of the incident, preferably in writing. Having made a written report, request for a copy before leaving.
Document All the Critical Details
Collecting the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all potential witnesses help in proving your claim. Also, taking pictures of the exact location you fell along with other conditions that contributed to your fall is vital.
Further, safely store the shoes and outfit you were wearing during the accident. They can be relevant evidence material later.
Avoid Placing Blame or Taking Any
Remain calm and refrain from posting on social media any details related to the accident. Also, be sure to first speak to an attorney before giving a statement to an insurance company.
Call an Atlanta Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
An experienced attorney helps you in your pursuit of legal action. Most slip and fall cases are difficult to prove.
You are best placed when an Atlanta slip and fall attorney is on your case. Call us today at (404)-902-3154 for your free case evaluation.