Representing Victims of
Drunk Driving Accidents
in AtlantaGet help now
Atlanta Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Drunk driving is dangerous driving. It puts everyone else on the road at serious risk. Unfortunately, DUIs remain far too common in our region. At Ponton Law, we fight tirelessly to protect the legal rights of injured victims and their families. Contacting us after suffering an injury caused by an intoxicated driver is critical to getting the complete compensation you deserve as quickly as possible. To discuss the specifics of your case contact us online or call Ponton Law today at 404-902-3154. We understand Georgia law and will work hard to manage your case from beginning to end. Consultations are free and strictly confidential.
Intoxicated Driving in Georgia Remains a Serious Public Safety Problem
Drivers who make the choice to drive while under the influence are a threat to everyone on the roadways. Nobody should be allowed to injure you or a loved one because they have chosen to overindulge and then drive.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that approximately 30 percent of all motor vehicle accident fatalities in the United States are caused by an intoxicated driver. 11,654 lives were lost in DUI crashes in 2020 alone. Many thousands more people suffered serious or even life-changing injuries.
What to Know About DUI Accident Injury Claims in Georgia
The State of Georgia takes intoxicated driving very seriously. Criminal convictions for intoxicated driving can come with significant monetary fines and jail time. The punishments get even more severe when people are injured. However, the criminal prosecution of an intoxicated driver does not compensate the victims of the car accident. You must file a civil legal claim—a personal injury claim or wrongful death claim—to seek the full and fair compensation that you deserve.
What to Do After an Accident in Georgia
Accidents can be scary and confusing times. Intoxicated drivers are being reckless and the accidents they cause can be catastrophic. It is normal to be stressed out and confused after a serious crash—especially a DUI accident. Here are key steps to take after a crash with a drunk driver or drugged driver in North Georgia:
- Get Medical Care: If you or a loved one has been injured by an intoxicated driver, the first thing you will want to do is get yourself to safety and get medical attention. After an accident, you always need to take immediate steps to protect yourself. If you have been injured, accept medical attention at the scene of the accident and then get yourself safely to a hospital or emergency care facility. Denying medical attention (or a delay in seeking medical help) can be used against you later even if you have been seriously injured. It is always better to get medical help as quickly as possible.
- Call the Police: A drunk driving crash should always be reported to state or local police. Do not wait to take action. Report all accidents that result in injuries or significant property damage to law enforcement.
- Document the Wreck: If you are able, use your cellphone to take video or pictures of the accident scene. If possible, get the contact information of any witnesses. Immediately after an accident, you are your own best advocate.
- Consult With an Atlanta DUI Accident Lawyer: Once you have received appropriate medical attention, you will want to contact us so we can work with you to ensure that the intoxicated driver is held responsible for his or her reckless behavior. Speak to a lawyer before you talk to an insurance company.
Recovering Full and Fair Financial Compensation for a DUI Crash
Following a crash with a drunk driver, you need financial compensation to pay bills and support your family. Sadly, defendants and insurers make the claims process difficult on people. Our Atlanta DUI accident attorney has the professional skills, legal experience, and tenacity to help you maximize your financial compensation. Following a crash with a drunk driver or drugged driver, you may be entitled to recover financial compensation for:
- Property damage (vehicle repairs);
- Ambulance costs and emergency room care;
- Hospital bills and other medical expenses;
- Ongoing or long-term rehabilitative care;
- Lost wages or loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering & mental distress;
- Disfigurement or disability; and
- Wrongful death of a loved one.
In Georgia, personal injury compensation and wrongful death compensation is generally tied to the actual economic and non-economic losses of the claimant. However, there are some exceptions in DUI accident claims. A drunk driving accident victim may be entitled to punitive damages. Issued in a limited number of motor vehicle accident claims, punitive damages are designed to punish the especially egregious conduct of the defendant. Punitive damages are still awarded to the victim.
How Our Atlanta, GA DUI Accident Injury Attorney Can Help
Drunk driving accident injury claims are notoriously complex. You do not have to go through the legal claims process by yourself. How can an experienced DUI attorney help you? Our founder attorney James Ponton has the experience, resources and passion to see your claim through discovery, negotiations, and, if necessary, trial. Catastrophic injuries are very serious and can have long-term consequences on you and your family. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed by an intoxicated driver contact us right away. We are proactive and justice-oriented. Among other things, our Atlanta DUI accident attorney is prepared to:
- Conduct a comprehensive review of your personal injury or wrongful death claim;
- Investigate the drunk driving crash, gathering documents, records, and evidence;
- Handle the legal paperwork and correspondence with insurers; and
- Develop a personalized strategy focused on getting results.
Contact Atlanta DUI Crash Attorney James Ponton
At Ponton Law, our law practices focused on catastrophic personal injuries. We can support you through the entire process so you can focus on your recovery. Call Ponton Law today at 404-902-3154 or contact us directly online for a free, no-obligation case review. From our Atlanta law office, our DUI accident lawyer represents victims and families throughout North Georgia.