Representing Personal Injury Victims in Duluth
YOUR CATASTROPHIC INJURY
CASE IS OUR TOP PRIORITY.Get help now
We Represent Auto Accident Victims in Duluth, Norcross, Doraville & Throughout Gwinnett County
DuluthCar Accident Attorney
At Ponton Law, our Duluth car accident lawyers are standing by, ready to fight for your rights and your interests. You do not have to take on an aggressive insurance company alone. Professional legal representation can make all of the difference. If you or someone close to you was seriously injured in a crash in Gwinnett County, you need a skilled advocate on your side. To set up your free, no-obligation consultation with a top-rated Duluth car accident attorney, please do not hesitate to call us at (404) 418-8507 or contact us directly through our website.
What Steps Should I Take After a Car Crash in Duluth, GA?
Duluth is a city in Gwinnett County, Georgia, with a population of approximately 30,000. It is a diverse and growing suburb of Atlanta, with a charming downtown area that features restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues. Duluth is also home to the Infinite Energy Center, a popular venue for concerts, conventions, and sporting events. The city has a strong focus on community events and offers a variety of parks and recreational opportunities. Of course, car crashes can happen in even the safest of communities. Are you wondering what specific steps you need to take after a car accident in Duluth, Georgia? Here are six important things that you should always do:
- Stop Your Car: Georgia law requires all motorists involved in a collision to stop their vehicle and remain at the scene of the crash. There is an exception for medical emergencies. Make sure you stop your car as soon as safely possible after a crash in Duluth.
- Exchange Information: You should exchange information with all parties involved in the car accident. This includes things like name, address, phone number, vehicle make & model, license plate, and insurance policy details.
- See the Doctor for Any Injuries: Car accident injuries are often more serious than they initially appear. Get yourself checked out by a doctor. Seeing a physician is both a vital step to protect your health/well-being and a required part of the legal claims process.
- Report the Collision to the Police: A police report is a key piece of evidence. Report a crash promptly to a law enforcement agency, such as the Duluth Police Department or the Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Office.
- Avoid Giving a Statement to an Insurer: You do not have to give a recorded statement to an insurance company representative in the immediate aftermath of a crash. Insurance companies are looking out for their financial interests, not what is best for your family.
- Speak to a Duluth, GA Car Accident Lawyer: As car accident injury claims are complex, you can benefit from the guidance of a top-rated Duluth, GA auto accident attorney. Your lawyer will protect your rights and help you obtain justice and compensation.
The Most Common Causes of Car Wrecks in Georgia
According to data from the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, 1,664 people were killed in motor vehicle collisions in the state in 2020 alone. Many tens of thousands more suffered severe, catastrophic, and even permanent injuries. Accidents happen for many reasons. Every crash in Duluth should be thoroughly investigated. Here are some of the most common causes of car accidents in Duluth, Georgia:
- Speeding or reckless maneuvering;
- Distracted driving, including texting;
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Defective vehicle parts;
- Poor road design or maintenance;
- Overloading or improperly loading cargo; and
- Other unsafe practices by commercial truck companies.
Who is Responsible for a Motor Vehicle Collision (Liability)?
In Georgia, car accident liability is based on fault, which means that the party responsible for the accident is generally responsible for the resulting damages. Fault is typically determined based on the concept of negligence, which refers to a failure to take reasonable care in order to prevent harm to others. As crashes can happen for so many different reasons, any accident should be thoroughly investigated to ensure that the responsible party is held accountable. Some of the defendants that may be held legally responsible for a motor vehicle crash in Duluth, GA include:
- Truck companies;
- Delivery companies;
- Property owners;
- Construction crews;
- Vehicle manufacturers; and
- Government agencies.
Every percentage point of fault matters after an accident in Gwinnett County. Under Georgia law (O.C.G.A. § 51-12-33), comparative negligence is the legal doctrine used to assign liability and determine compensation in personal injury cases, including car accident claims. The doctrine holds that each party involved in an accident is assigned a percentage of fault for the resulting damages, based on their level of negligence.
For instance, imagine that you are involved in an accident with another driver in Duluth. You are found to be 20 percent at fault for your own crash on the grounds of negligence. The other driver is found to be 80 percent at fault. If your total damages were $100,000, you would be responsible for 20 percent ($20,000). You would still be able to hold the other driver legally liable for the remaining 80 percent ($80,000).
We Fight to Help Injured Victims in Duluth Maximize their Financial Recovery
Were you hurt in a car crash in Duluth or elsewhere in Gwinnett County? It is crucial that you have the tools and resources to recover every penny of financial compensation that you rightfully deserve. Insurance companies—even your own provider—want to settle cases for less. Our Duluth car accident lawyers are ready to take your claim as far as needed to help you secure the absolute maximum settlement or verdict. Compensation may be awarded for:
- Automobile repairs or vehicle replacement;
- Emergency medical treatment;
- Medical bills and other health care expenses;
- Lost wages and diminished earning power;
- Pain and suffering & emotional distress;
- Disfigurement, disability, and impairment; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
What to Know About Handling the Insurance Claims Process After a Serious Car Accident
If you have been involved in a serious car accident in Duluth, you may be left dealing with injuries, medical bills, a damaged vehicle, and immense pain and suffering. Handling the insurance claims process can be overwhelming and confusing, but there are a few key things to keep in mind to protect your interests and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
To start, it is important to gather as much information as possible about the accident, including photographs of the scene, police reports, witness statements, and medical records. You do not want to be less prepared than the insurance company. The good news is that you do not have to do all of this alone: An experienced Duluth, GA auto accident lawyer will help you navigate a claim.
The key thing to remember is that the big insurance companies are not on your side—even if it is your own insurance carrier. Insurers want to resolve claims for less. They train their adjusters to try to minimize payouts. Avoid giving a statement to an insurance adjuster without first consulting with an experienced attorney.
You Have Limited Time to File a Car Accident Injury Claim in Georgia
The statute of limitations for a personal injury lawsuit in Georgia is two years (O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33). All motor vehicle accident injury claims—from car crashes to pedestrian collisions to commercial truck wrecks—must be initiated within two years of the incident. A person who waits too long to bring their claim in Gwinnett County may lose out on their right to take legal action at all. You should not delay in starting your claim: Consult with a Duluth car accident lawyer right away after a crash.
You Can Rely On Duluth Auto Accident Lawyer James T. Ponton
Dealing with the aftermath of a serious or catastrophic car crash is never easy. Insurers can put barriers in the process—making things even more challenging for victims and families. We fight hard to help victims get justice. Our founder and managing attorney James T. Ponton, is on the side of people who need help the most—not the large insurance companies. Among other things, our Duluth car accident attorney is ready to:
- Hear your story, review the crash, and answer questions about the claims process;
- Investigate the collision, obtaining the evidence you need to prove liability;
- Connect you with the right doctors and gather/prepare your medical records;
- Advocate for your best interests in any settlement negotiations with insurers; and
- Develop a comprehensive strategy devoted to protecting your best interests.
Contact Our Duluth, GA Car Accident Attorney for Immediate Help
At Ponton Law, our Duluth auto accident lawyers fight aggressively to help injured victims secure the maximum available financial recovery. Do not agree to settle your claim for less than you rightfully deserve. Defendants and insurance companies must be held accountable. Contact us at (404) 418-8507 to arrange a no-cost, no-commitment, and comprehensive initial legal consultation. We represent car accident victims in Duluth and throughout all of Gwinnett County.