What Is Reckless Driving
Is Reckless driving a misdemeanor? Reckless driving refers to driving a vehicle without any regard for the safety of property or persons. Unlike many traffic violations, driving recklessly is considered a misdemeanor criminal offense. Behaviors that lead to a reckless driving charge put people’s lives in jeopardy and include:
- Aggressively changing lanes
- Excessive speed
- Following other motorists too closely
- Running stop signs and red lights
- Driving a vehicle with serious mechanical flows.
In Atlanta, reckless driving is punishable by a jail term of up to 12 months or a fine not exceeding 1,000 dollars. If you are facing a charge of reckless driving, contact an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer without hesitation. Call us at 404-418-8507 or engage us in an online consultation.
The Consequences of a Reckless Driving Charge
Since driving recklessly is a misdemeanor, your employment and rental applications will be affected. You will have to indicate on them that you have been convicted of a crime. In addition, your driving license will have four points added on it.
And, if you are below the age of 21 when charged with the offense, your license is automatically suspended. Also, motorists in Atlanta should understand that licenses are suspended if within a 24-month period, the driver accumulates 15 points.
Penalties may be greater if other charges are also involved. In the event that a reckless driver attempts to flee from the arresting police officer, the jail time probability increases.
Reckless Driving Charge Benefits
Most motorists in Atlanta who are charged with driving under the influence of alcohol find a reckless driving charge bearable. Lessening the former charge to reckless driving has benefits such as:
- Removal of a license suspension from a driving record
- Minimal penalties and fines than those of driving under the influence.
Legal Defense for a Reckless Driving Charge
Here, a number of issues matter: the court, your driving record, the circumstances of your ticket and whether you’re pleading to other charges. As such, hire Atlanta car accident lawyer since we are familiar with the judge’s sentencing practices.
Avoiding Reckless Drivers
You could also find yourself on the receiving end of reckless driving. The following are some safety tips that can help you:
- Paying attention: Keenly focus on driving so as to notice a dangerous driver and thus prevent a possible accident.
- Avoid reckless motorists: Slow down or pull over to maintain space between you and a dangerous motorist. You shouldn’t expect that driver to stop the behavior to ensure your safety.
- Reporting a dangerous driver to the authorities: Don’t shy away from calling the highway patrol if a motorist is acting recklessly. You may end up saving both of your lives.
- Taking your time: Early planning reduces your anxiety and gives you enough time to reach your destination. You will therefore not be tempted to drive recklessly in an effort to keep time.
Moreover, research shows that teenagers are at high risk of driving recklessly. Teens lack the maturity and experience to assess risky situations. Parents should discuss with young drivers the dangers of driving recklessly.
Consult an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer
Our legal counsel has helped many drivers in cases of reckless driving in obtaining favorable outcomes. We are available to help you understand what your legal options may be. Call (404)-902-3154 today!