Involved in a Car Accident in Marietta, GA
Our Experienced Attorneys Can
Get Results and Compensation TodayGet help now
Our Marietta Car Accident Attorneys Get You Results
At Ponton Law, our Marietta car accident attorney is a results-driven legal advocate for victims and families. We have a proven record of success across a wide range of motor vehicle accident claims. Our law firm always invests the time, the resources, and personalized attention to ensure that our clients receive the high-level legal representation that they rightfully deserve. Were you hurt in a traffic collision? We can help. Contact our law firm today to arrange a free, no-obligation consultation with a reliable Marietta car accident attorney.
What to Do After a Car Crash in Marietta, Georgia
Year after year, motor vehicle collisions are one of the leading causes of serious injuries in our region. The Georgia Department of Public Health emphasizes that traffic incidents are the second leading cause of emergency room (ER) visits in the state—behind only heart problems. An accident can happen when you least expect it. All communities are affected by the risks posed by traffic collisions—Marietta is certainly no exception. If you were involved in a crash, a proactive approach is a must. Here are four steps to take after an automobile accident in Marietta, Georgia:
- Stop Your Vehicle and Report the Crash to Police: Regardless of the severity of the crash, Georgia law mandates that drivers must stop at the scene of an accident and exchange information. Ensure that you are safe, and then call the Marietta Police Department to report the incident. You can request a copy of the accident report directly from the Marietta Police.
- Seek Immediate Medical Care (Emergencies are the Priority): All automobile accident injuries require immediate medical attention. An emergency takes priority over anything else—your health and safety matter. If you do not see a doctor after a crash in Marietta, you will not be in a position to bring a successful personal injury claim.
- Proactively Document the Crash (Gather Evidence): While it is still fresh in your mind, you should document every detail of the incident. Take photographs of the scene, the vehicles involved, and any visible injuries. Other forms of evidence include contact information from witnesses and your own personal account of events.
- Speak to a Marietta Lawyer Before an Insurance Adjuster: Insurance companies are not on your side. Before discussing the accident with an insurance adjuster, be sure to consult with an experienced Marietta car accident attorney. An attorney can provide guidance on your rights and help ensure you receive the maximum financial compensation.
An Overview of Car Accident Liability in Georgia
If you or your close family member was involved in a serious motor vehicle crash in Marietta, it is imperative that you have a comprehensive understanding of your rights and responsibilities under state law. Here are three key things to understand about car accident liability in Georgia:
- At-Fault System of Liability: While some jurisdictions operate under a “no-fault” system, Georgia uses the “at-fault” system for motor vehicle accident liability. What impact does this have on your claim? The party deemed at fault for causing the accident is also responsible for bearing the financial consequences. In other words, the party deemed at fault for a crash because of their negligence (unsafe actions) can be held liable for the collision.
- Comparative Negligence to Apportion Blame: Under Georgia law (O.C.G.A. § 51-11-7), car accidents are subject to a modified comparative fault system to apportion blame for a crash. It is a standard that could have huge implications for your motor vehicle crash in Marietta. If you are deemed to be partially at fault for an accident, your financial compensation may be reduced by the percentage of your fault. However, if you are found to be 50% or more at fault, you will not be eligible to receive any compensation from the other party.
- A Two-Year Statute of Limitations: Time is of the essence when considering legal actions after a car accident in Marietta. The state imposes a two-year statute of limitations for accident and injury claims based on negligence, including car crashes. You have a two-year window from the time of the collision to initiate a lawsuit. If you do not file within this period, you may forfeit your right to claim compensation through Georgia’s legal system. Only very narrow exceptions apply to our state’s personal injury statute of limitations. Do not delay: Get help from a Cobb County car accident lawyer right away after a crash in Marietta.
What Compensation Can You Recover in a Car Crash Claim in Marietta?
Hurt in a motor vehicle collision in Marietta? You have the right to seek financial relief for the full extent of your damages, including out-of-pocket losses and intangible damages. To secure the maximum settlement or verdict, your damages must be well-documented. At Ponton Law, our Marietta auto accident lawyer fights tirelessly to help our clients obtain the best possible results. The financial compensation that may be recovered in a car accident claim in Georgia includes:
- Property damage (vehicle repairs):
- Ambulance costs and emergency room care;
- Hospital bills and other medical costs;
- Loss of income and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Long-term disability;
- Physical disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death of a loved one.
We Handle Ridesharing Accident Claims in Marietta (Uber and Lyft)
Ridesharing platforms—most notably, Uber and Lyft—have become integral to the transportation system in Marietta and throughout Cobb County. However, with their rise, accidents involving these services have also surged. Navigating the complexities of claims against giants like Uber and Lyft can be incredibly daunting. Ridesharing accidents create unique insurance challenges. Georgia has a specialized insurance law in place for ridesharing accident claims. Notably, ridesharing passengers must also be covered by a minimum $1,000,000 commercial liability policy in Georgia.
It is normal to have a lot of questions about your rights and options for a ridesharing crash. At Ponton Law, we have the experience to take on these cases. No matter how the collision happened, our team is ready to determine the best path forward. If you or your loved one was hurt in an Uber accident in Marietta or a Lyft accident in Marietta, you have the right to seek compensation. Contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced Marietta ridesharing accident attorney.
How Marietta Auto Accident Lawyer James Ponton Can Help Protect Your Rights
A serious auto accident can change your entire life in a matter of seconds. As a former insurance company defense lawyer, our founder James T. Ponton has a deep understanding of how insurers handle claims. We use our expertise to protect your rights. When you contact our law firm, you will have an opportunity to consult with a Marietta car accident attorney who can:
- Listen to what you have to say and answer questions about your car accident claim;
- Investigate the motor vehicle collision, gathering evidence to prove liability and damages;
- Advocate for you in settlement discussions with the insurers; and
- Develop a personalized strategy to protect your rights and maximize your recovery.
Set Up a Free Consultation With a Top Marietta Car Accident Attorney
At Ponton Law, our Marietta auto accident lawyers fight aggressively to protect the rights and interests of the people who need help the most. Hurt in any type of motor vehicle crash? Call us now at (404) 418-8507 or contact us directly online to set up your free, fully private consultation. Our car crash lawyers fight for the rights of injured victims in Marietta and across Cobb County.