Facing A Motorcycle Injury in Marietta, GA
Our Dedicated Lawyers Will
Get You Compensated Today!Get help now
Motorcycle Injury Attorneys in Marietta, GA
At Ponton Law, our Marietta motorcycle accident attorney is here to help you fight for the full and fair financial compensation that you deserve. We have extensive experience handling motorcycle accident injury claims. If you or your loved one was hurt in a motorcycle collision in Cobb County, you need a skilled legal advocate on your side. Contact our law firm today for a free consultation with a top-rated Marietta motorcycle accident lawyer.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Marietta
A motorcycle accident can happen when you least expect it. The immediate aftermath of a collision is often stressful and overwhelming. By knowing the right things to do, you can put yourself in the best possible position to put the pieces back together. Steps to take after a motorcycle crash in Marietta include:
- Stop Your Motorcycle and Exchange Information: After any motor vehicle accident in Georgia, state law mandates motorists to stop their vehicle and exchange information. Motorcycles are no exception to the rule. Move your motorcycle to a safe location. You should also report the collision to law enforcement, such as the Marietta Police Department. Responding officers will help control the scene and write an accident report.
- Get Medical Care Right Away (Emergency Comes First): In the wake of a motorcycle accident in Marietta, adrenaline might mask the severity of injuries. Many riders are more severely hurt than they initially realize. It is crucial to get a medical evaluation right away. Of course, emergencies always take priority.
- Document the Motorcycle Collision: Georgia is an at-fault state for motorcycle accidents. For victims, it is always beneficial to have a detailed record of the accident. Use your smartphone to take pictures of the accident scene, the damages to your motorcycle, any injuries you’ve sustained, and the conditions of the road. Make note of the time, date, and weather conditions. The more information you have, the better positioned you will be.
- Consult With a Marietta Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Before an Insurer: Do not rely on any insurance company to protect your legal rights or your financial interests after a crash in Marietta. Insurers will often attempt to minimize their payouts—and they may try to offer an agreement that does not cover your medical expenses and other damages. A top Marietta, GA motorcycle accident injury lawyer can help you take action to get the best results.
Motorcyclists are at High Risk of Serious Injuries
Motorcyclists face heightened risks on the road due to their limited protection compared to enclosed vehicles. Without the buffer of a car’s structure, even minor collisions can result in serious injuries for motorcyclists. The exposed nature of motorcycles means that riders often sustain direct impacts during accidents. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) cites data showing that 8 in 10 motorcycle crash injuries result in harm to the rider. The Georgia Department of Drivers Services (DDS) finds that motorcyclists make up 11 percent of traffic fatalities in the state despite motorcycles making up less than two percent of registered vehicles. We handle all types of motorcycle crash injuries in Marietta. Here is an overview of some of the most common motorcycle accident injuries—from relatively modest to catastrophic:
- Bruises and contusions;
- Road rash and other skin injuries;
- Soft tissue damage, including whiplash;
- Sprains and strains;
- Fractured and broken bones;
- Internal bleeding;
- Internal organ damage;
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs);
- Amputations; and
- Spinal cord damage.
Why Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
Motorcycle crashes can occur for a wide range of different reasons. Every motorcycle accident in Marietta requires a thorough and detail-oriented investigation of the facts. It is vital to know exactly what went wrong and why it went wrong. In many cases, motorcycle crashes are caused by the negligence of motorists or other parties. Some of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents in Marietta include:
- Distracted Driving: Engaging in activities such as texting, eating, adjusting the radio, or talking on the phone while driving.
- Failing to Check Blind Spots: Not adequately checking or ignoring blind spots when changing lanes or merging can lead to collisions with motorcyclists.
- Not Using Turn Signals: Failing to indicate lane changes or turns can leave motorcyclists unaware of a driver’s intentions.
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI): Operating a vehicle after consuming alcohol, drugs, or any impairing substance.
- Running Red Lights or Stop Signs: Disregarding traffic signals, especially at intersections, poses a severe threat to motorcyclists.
- Unsafe and Improper Lane Changes: Changing lanes without proper signaling or abruptly can lead to side-swiping a motorcycle.
- Tailgating of a Motorcycle: Following a motorcyclist too closely reduces the driver’s reaction time and can lead to rear-end collisions.
- Failure to Yield to a Motorcyclist: Not giving the right of way to motorcyclists when required can cause accidents, especially at intersections.
- Speeding: Driving over the speed limit or too fast for road conditions can reduce a driver’s ability to spot and react to motorcyclists in time.
An Overview of Motorcycle Accident Liability in Georgia
Georgia is an at-fault motorcycle accident liability state. The party responsible for causing a motorcycle crash through unsafe (negligent) actions can be held liable for the resulting damages. Under Georgia law (O.C.G.A. § 51-11-7), motor vehicle accident cases—including motorcycle accident claims—are governed by a modified comparative negligence standard. An injured motorcyclist can still recover financial compensation if they are partially at fault for their own crash—but only if they are liable for 50 percent or less of the accident. In these cases, an injured motorcyclist’s compensation will be reduced by the degree of fault.
Injured Motorcyclists Deserve Full and Fair Financial Compensation for their Damages
A motorcycle crash can cause devastating, life-altering injuries. Following a motorcycle wreck in Marietta, it is crucial that you are able to secure the financial compensation that you need to pay your bills and support your family. At Ponton Law, our Marietta motorcycle accident lawyers fight hard to help victims and families secure the greatest possible settlement or verdict. Compensatory damages may be recovered for:
- Motorcycle repairs (property damage);
- Ambulance costs and emergency room care;
- Hospital bills and other medical costs;
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering & mental distress;
- Long-term disability and physical disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death damages.
We also Handle Bicycle Accident Claims in Marietta
In Marietta, alongside our expertise in motorcycle accident claims, we also specialize in bicycle accident claims. It’s essential to understand that while both motorcycle and bicycle accidents share some similarities, they possess distinct differences. Bicyclists, like motorcyclists, are vulnerable on the road due to the lack of protective barriers. That being said, bicycles travel at slower speeds and don’t have the same presence or noise level as motorcycles, often leading to them being overlooked by drivers. Moreover, bicyclists are more susceptible to hazards like potholes or uneven road surfaces. The rights and regulations governing cyclists also differ from those for motorcyclists.
Why Rely On Marietta Motorcycle Accident Lawyer James Ponton
Motorcycle accident injury claims are complicated. Unfortunately, some riders even face unfair stereotypes from insurance companies. A former insurance company defense, our founder and lead attorney James T. Ponton deeply understands the claims process. We use our legal expertise to get results for injured victims and their families. Among other things, our Marietta motorcycle accident attorney is ready to:
- Conduct a free, comprehensive review of your legal claim;
- Investigate your motorcycle crash—gathering the evidence to prove fault;
- Handle legal paperwork and any settlement negotiations with insurers; and
- Develop a personalized motorcycle accident claim strategy to help you get results.
Contact Our Marietta Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
At Ponton Law, our Marietta motorcycle accident lawyer is an aggressive and experienced advocate for injured victims. We fight tirelessly because you deserve the maximum compensation. Call us now at (404) 418-8507 or contact us online to set up your no-cost, no-obligation consultation. We fight for the rights of injured motorcyclists in Marietta and throughout all of Cobb County.